--089e01494140a1fec704de7d7f56 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Frank Reininghaus wrote: > Hi Vishesh, > > 2013/6/6 Vishesh Handa: > > I was thinking of showing the current directory which it is scanning > > through, though I'm not sure how I would show that via the GUI or how I > > would implement that. > > > > The reason for showing visual feedback is that if Nepomuk is not enabled > > searching will take some time, and in that case there should be some > visual > > feedback as to where it is searching. Just a "processing" sign is not > > enough. > > Right, I see what you mean. Showing the directory where it's currently > searching in the status bar might be an option, but I'm not sure if > there is a clean way to have a kioslave send that kind of information > to Dolphin. > Right. Even I'm not sure how this would be done. I'll investigate. > > >> (b) How would it be implemented? > >> > >> One option might be that we check (maybe in > >> DolphinViewContainer::slotDirectoryLoadingStarted() ?) if Nepomuk is > >> going to be used for the search, and ask Nepomuk somehow if a message > >> as described in (a) should be shown, and if that is the case, just > >> show it in the message widget. But maybe there are other options - I'm > >> not extremely familiar with the search-related code, so I might not > >> see the best solution. > > > > > > I'm somewhat familiar with the code. Anyway, that's just an > implementation > > detail. I'm sure I can get it to work. > > > > The main question now is - > > > > Once the implementation is done, should I ask for an exception from the > > release team? I would also probably need to ask the translation team. > > > > Or should we wait till 4.12? > > Well, I'd say that it depends on how much it affects the existing > code. If it's as simple as calling a Nepomuk function to get a string > that would be shown in the message widget, and that happens only if > Nepomuk is enabled and not done with indexing (I'm thinking that this > would not require more than ~20 lines of code on the Dolphin side, but > I might be completely wrong), then I would not mind if we include it > in 4.11. > The Nepomuk interfacing code will be quite small, but I'm not sure about the UI code. Anyway, I'll try to implement it tomorrow or next week. Lets see. > > Cheers, > Frank > -- Vishesh Handa --089e01494140a1fec704de7d7f56 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Frank Reininghaus <frank78a= c@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi Vishesh,

2013/6/6 Vishesh Handa:
> I was thinking of showing the current directory whic= h it is scanning
> through, though I'm not sure how I would show that via the GUI or = how I
> would implement that.
>
> The reason for showing visual feedback is that if Nepomuk is not enabl= ed
> searching will take some time, and in that case there should be some v= isual
> feedback as to where it is searching. Just a "processing" si= gn is not
> enough.

Right, I see what you mean. Showing the directory where it's curr= ently
searching in the status bar might be an option, but I'm not sure if
there is a clean way to have a kioslave send that kind of information
to Dolphin.

Right. Even I'm not sur= e how this would be done.

I'll investigate.
=A0

>> (b) How would it be implemented?
>>
>> One option might be that we check (maybe in
>> DolphinViewContainer::slotDirectoryLoadingStarted() ?) if Nepomuk = is
>> going to be used for the search, and ask Nepomuk somehow if a mess= age
>> as described in (a) should be shown, and if that is the case, just=
>> show it in the message widget. But maybe there are other options -= I'm
>> not extremely familiar with the search-related code, so I might no= t
>> see the best solution.
>

> I'm somewhat familiar with the code. Anyway, that's just an im= plementation
> detail. I'm sure I can get it to work.
>
> The main question now is -
>
> Once the implementation is done, should I ask for an exception from th= e
> release team? I would also probably need to ask the translation team.<= br> >
> Or should we wait till 4.12?

Well, I'd say that it depends on how much it affects the existing=
code. If it's as simple as calling a Nepomuk function to get a string that would be shown in the message widget, and that happens only if
Nepomuk is enabled and not done with indexing (I'm thinking that this would not require more than ~20 lines of code on the Dolphin side, but
I might be completely wrong), then I would not mind if we include it
in 4.11.

The Nepomuk interfacing code w= ill be quite small, but I'm not sure about the UI code. Anyway, I'l= l try to implement it tomorrow or next week. Lets see.
=A0

Cheers,
Frank