List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Nepomuk File Metadata widget
From:       Vishesh Handa <me () vhanda ! in>
Date:       2012-12-20 15:45:55

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Frank Reininghaus <frank78ac@googlemail.com
> wrote:

> Hi Vishesh,
>
> 2012/12/20 Vishesh Handa:
> > Hey Frank
> >
> > I know I'm very very late, but I finally fixed the few annoying bugs in
> > Nepomuk2::FileMetadataWidget, and even made it show data when Nepomuk in
> not
> > running.
>
> Sounds good, thanks!
>
> > I think this satisfies all the conditions that you had.
> >
> > Would it be possible to use it for 4.10? I would really like it cause
> then I
> > don't have to fix the bugs in KFileMetadatWidget for 4.10. I've attached
> > patch which uses it instead of the KFileMetadataWidget.
> >
> > Current problems -
> >
> > 1. When right clicking on the file -> Properties -> Information. This
> > Information is supposed to be the same as what is displayed in the
> > Information Panel. However, its code resides in kio, and cannot be made
> > use Nepomuk::FileMetadataWidget.
> >
> > 2. Configure Shown Data -> Internally, Nepomuk's FileMetadataWidget also
> > uses the same config file, but this might have problems. Maybe I should
> have
> > my own different config file.
> >
> > I really want to get this into 4.10 cause it makes my job a lot easier. I
> > don't need to maintain the kdelibs/nepomuk code then. It would also make
> bug
> > fixing a lot easier.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> We are in hard feature freeze since November 8 [1], so it seems to me
> that this can only go into the master branch.

Well. I was hoping you wouldn't consider this a feature. It's just a port
of KFileMetadataWidget to Nepomuk2.

At the end, it's your call. There are significant advantages of moving to
the new MetadataWidget. Since the previous one used a separate process, it
could not utilize any of the cache, and had to query the db each time a
file was selected. Considering that Dolphin internally uses Nepomuk to show
a lot of metadata, the data would already be loaded in memory and we
wouldn't have to query for it again and again.

I hate the idea of users having to wait 8 months to get these improvements.
Anyway, it's your choice. I do hope you reconsider.

--
Vishesh Handa