Never mind. This does not work as intended or advertised. I guess the straight merge with duplicate cherry-pick log messages is the only way to go.

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Dawit A <adawit@kde.org> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Frank Reininghaus <frank78ac@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi Dawit,

2012/9/26 Dawit A:
> I still do not see how this can work cleanly. People commit changes in
> master and then backport them to the 4.9 branch. Which BTW was by far the
> most common workflow before the switch over to git. As an example if you
> attempt to 'merge'  kde-baseapps 4.9 branch into master right now, you will
> get a duplicate log entry for the following commit which has been
> cherry-picked into the 4.9 branch from master:
>
> commit 8c4fa6e03b6b6acedf3a03eef5347f38680818fe
> Author: Emmanuel Pescosta <emmanuelpescosta099@gmail.com>
> Date:   Wed Sep 12 19:33:28 2012 +0200
>
>     Fixes Bug 305783 - dragging a file over a directory #c4
>          does not expand the dir => Bug discovered: When you drag a
>          item onto a folder-view-item and then move it away
>          instantly before the autoactivation event is triggered
>          (After 750ms), the folder will be opened anyway.
>
>     BUG: 305783
>     REVIEW: 106381
>     FIXED-IN: 4.9.2
>     (cherry picked from commit 9ab8bcd6aa3ce5d96ee380d5f22d77c2f0a38881)

I think it has just been overlooked first that this commit is safe
enough to go into the 4.9 branch. I was the one who encouraged
Emmanuel to commit that fix to 4.9 as well. If you first fix something
in master and later decide that it can also be pushed to 4.9, I see no
other option but to cherry-pick.

> How can that be resolved or do we live with the duplicate log entries ?

I don't know how to avoid a duplicate entry in that case. But given
the big mess of duplicate entries that we had in the past every time
someone decided to merge, I think that a single duplicate entry is
something that we can probably live with.

Well, I found an answer to my own question at [1]. Basically, it says doing a rebase of the branch with the master and merging afterwards will prevent the duplicate log message:

$ git co -b 4.9 origin/KDE/4.9
$ git co -b master origin/master
$ git rebase master 4.9
$ git co master
$ git merge 4.9

Perhaps people with more intimate knowledge of git than I want to comment on the validity of above steps ? However, it seems to work just fine when I tested it against kde-baseapps:

$ git rebase master 4.9
First, rewinding head to replay your work on top of it...
Applying: SVN_SILENT made messages (.desktop file)
Applying: When user requests to open bookmark urls in a new window or tab, filter the
Applying: Fix crash when receiving Nepomuk info for a recently deleted file.
Applying: Fixed CTRL+Tab not working when using Dolphin's filemanagement part in Konqueror.
Applying: Do not crash when the apply/ok button is pressed after the defaults button when site specific policies present
Applying: Fix a Bug in KFileItemModelRolesUpdate::setEnabledPlugins.

$ git br
* 4.9
  master
  work

$ git co master
Switched to branch 'master'

$ git merge 4.9
Updating d06163e..3ee40a3
Fast-forward
 dolphin/src/kitemviews/kfileitemmodelrolesupdater.cpp | 9 ++++++++-
 dolphin/src/kitemviews/kitemlistview.cpp              | 2 ++
 konqueror/settings/kio/kcookiespolicies.cpp           | 1 +
 konqueror/settings/kio/proxy.desktop                  | 1 +
 konqueror/src/konqmainwindow.cpp                      | 9 +++++----

$ git log origin/master..
commit 3ee40a3c7063e8053cc87b2e9bd8f3a321e67949
    Fix a Bug in KFileItemModelRolesUpdate::setEnabledPlugins.
    Changes were never overtaken because of a wrong comparison.

    FIXED-IN: 4.9.2

commit 2848b923ddeb65c4dcb5b469c4ac6f0e9a204eb9
    Do not crash when the apply/ok button is pressed after the defaults button when site specific policies present

commit e95e336767ba9c4d761fdb9f356dd6d78ad01c16
    Fixed CTRL+Tab not working when using Dolphin's filemanagement part in Konqueror.

    BUG: 302329
    FIXED-IN: 4.9.2
    REVIEW: 106569

commit 38e3b55b480cb586ccc65c7661775185ddca0c22
    Fix crash when receiving Nepomuk info for a recently deleted file.

    BUG: 306036
    FIXED-IN: 4.9.2

commit 4fb0e0a9235b88df409a3718e75f606e56039b6f
    When user requests to open bookmark urls in a new window or tab, filter the
    URLs before opening them.

    BUG: 145873
    FIXED-IN: 4.9.2

commit 689108b0f37d9ac6f54261f5b94f623e3e63d448
Author: Script Kiddy <scripty@kde.org>
Date:   Sat Sep 22 17:32:41 2012 +0200

[1] http://davitenio.wordpress.com/2008/09/27/git-merge-after-git-cherry-pick-avoiding-duplicate-commits/