Hi Frank, On 03/28/2012 07:46 PM, Frank Reininghaus wrote: [...] >> Sounds good! > > thanks, I did this now [1]. The only downside is that the unit test, > which checks that the search is cancelled when nothing happens during > the timeout, now takes more than 5 seconds to complete, which is a > waste of time IMHO - I run the tests quite often, and I hope that I'm > not the only one :-) I probably cannot compete with your number of runs, but I also think needing to wait 5 seconds would be way too long ;-) > There are two ways out of this: > > a) Remove that part of the test. > b) Add some API to set KItemListKeyboardSearchManager's timeout to a > custom value (initialised to 5000 ms in the constructor), which the > unit test would then make quite small. > > In spite of the added complexity, b) seems better from a testing point > of view, and it would also make it clear that a timeout exists when > looking at the header file only. Any objections? I fully agree to b) and to write classes in a way that they are well testable with unit-tests. I initially thought about making the timeout-setter private being accessible only by the unit-test. But as you say the interface also makes clear that there is a timeout. So making this public is fine for me (even if in Dolphin we rely only on the default setting). Thanks, Peter > > Cheers, > Frank > > [1] http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kde-baseapps.git&a=commit&h=02eab49b2de51c31fe46a0d9501327b579b3648e