On 03/28/2012 03:40 PM, Frank Reininghaus wrote: [...] > So I would suggest to split this into two parts: > > 1. Bug fix part: Increase the timeout to a larger value (Nautilus' 5 > seconds seem quite reasonable to me) in the 4.8 branch. Sounds good! > 2. New feature part: Provide visual feedback about the search string > and possibly also the timeout. Note that the 'repeated key search' > feature does probably not make much sense any more then, I think it's > impossible to combine that with visual feedback without causing > confusion. Ah, I did not think about this. Yes, you are right... > But I don't know if users use this feature or even know > about it anyway ;-) The reason why I suggested to implement the > repeated key search in the first place was that QAbstractItemView also > has it. I'm also not sure whether user are aware about this. At least I forgot about this already ;-) But I'd need to write a rough prototype to get a feeling about how this visual feedback works in general and probably it would be fine to skip the repeated key search then. > I might look into the visual feedback at some point, but probably not > in the near future, so if some other volunteer shows up, I don't mind. My TODO-list for 4.9 is already full and I also won't implement this in near future. I'd also welcome volunteers, but I think it is important to communicate: If the visual feedback does not work as well as expected, the feature won't get merged. So there is a risk of investigating a lot of work into a feature that probably won't be released :-( > What do you think about this? > > Best regards, > Frank