On Tuesday 20 March 2012 14:16:10 Marcus Harrison wrote: > I'm fully against this idea, and I'll explain why. Please let's postpone the "what is better"-discussion: The question is whether there are enough users around here to justify a non-default option to provide a way to do a dropping without context-menu. To make it clear: I agree to your points and hence I don't plan to change the default behavior in Dolphin; so the default action on dropping will always be to open the "Copy to/Move to/Link to"-menu. > Currently, when the user drags and drops, the user is given a choice to copy, > move or link, via a menu. This menu also shows the user which keyboard button > to press if they want any of the other operations. > I don't think it's wise to just guess what the user wants to do, especially > given that whether you are moving between folders in the same filesystem or > across file systems is the only way you're going to guess this behaviour. My > standard behaviour for managing files on a camera is to use a smaller memory > card (2GB) on the camera, then move all files from the memory card to the > computer so I have room to take more photos. However, I'll only copy music off > an external hard-drive onto my machine, if I'm going to give the external > hard-drive back to my friend. In my situation, the logical "default" is to > move files from device to device, and use a keyboard key to copy for the odd > occasion when I need it. > > The most important aspect to me, though, is discoverability: bringing the > menu up by default explicitly tells the user how to perform a copy/move > quickly. Copying/moving automatically does NOT tell the user how to change > this behaviour, bring up a menu or create a link instead - most users won't > know, and only the technologically comfortable will bother to explore. We'd be > turning the situation from one where every user knows how to use the various > pieces of functionality to one where most users don't know and would have to > turn to Google to find out. This is exactly the situation with Windows and Mac > OS - with KDE it's completely unnecessary. > > And finally, if it really bothers some users that a menu pops up, they can > always hit "Ctrl" to copy and "Shift" to move. These buttons never change - > unlike they potentially might if drag 'n' drop is context sensitive, and even > if they don't, it's still more guessing on the user's part. > > On Tuesday 20 March 2012 11:44:50 Peter Penz wrote: > > On Tuesday 20 March 2012 11:22:37 Jonathan Marten wrote: > > [...] > > > > > But disc partitioning is less apparent on Unix than on > > > Windows - there are no drive letters, and filesystems can be mounted > > > anywhere, so it is not possible for the user to tell just by looking > > > at pathnames whether the operation will be a copy or a move. Having > > > data moved instead of copied, without being aware of this, could > > > result in data loss. > > > > I fully agree to this but I think before a discussion is done whether making > > this default or whether the copy/move behavior is done dynamically, we > > should wait for David Faure (= maintainer of libkonq) whether having an > > option for not showing a "Copy to/Move to/Link to"-menu at all will be > > accepted. > > > > Although I'm usually very skeptical about adding new options, I initially > > thought that adding this option would be OK. Now after checking the > > duplicates/votes for this report I'm surprised about the low numbers - it > > seems the demand for this is quite low (or I missed hidden duplicates in > > bugs.kde.org). Anyhow lets wait for David's feedback first. > > > > Cheers, > > Peter > > Marcus Harrison >