----- "PCMan" wrote: > How do you handle menu items which have submenus? I agree that, for now, actions are just an unordered flat list of items. IMHO, a menu item which handle a submenu is just a menu: a label, an icon, and an ordered list of items (actions or menus). So I think this should be handle by the menu spec. > Besides, some kind of caching is needed. Otherwise having to read > many files can hurt performance. Do you are just afraid of such a possibility, or do you have any measures ? Disks have cache, filesystem drivers have cache, and the code ran to just display a context menu may already be considered as heavy (evaluate the selection, build mimetype-depending options, and so on...). We also may suppose that file manager only loads these actions once, and install a monitoring to reload them when the underlying storage space is changed. > > - menu definition is left to the already existing spec [5] ; I find > >  it very complicated, and it may also need an extension, but it > >  exists and cannot just be thrown away > > This one is apparently too complicated for what we need in file > managers. The current menu spec almost has nothing in common with > file manager actions. A new spec specifically designed for this > work should be better. Better, I don't know, but surely simpler ;-) Essentially, the spec says (see [7]) : a) you define a menu in a .directory file, with a label and an icon b) you define the order of the items, in a .menu xml file. This may not even need an extension of the spec, but rather a simplification to better suit our needs. We would just have to carefully place our own files to no risk a collision with the global Applications menu. But, eventually, yes, I agree that any spec is not complete while the menus are not described and properly managed. I'll work on this point. > > > > [1] http://www.nautilus-actions.org/?q=node/377 > > [2] > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2006-February/006094.html > > [3] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2006-June/006612.html > > [4] > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2009-August/010914.html > > [5] http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/ > > [6] http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ [7] http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apcs03.html Regards Pierre