List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: preview in dolphin is slow with many pictures
From:       Peter Penz <peter.penz () gmx ! at>
Date:       2008-06-11 0:47:42

On Wednesday, 11. June 2008 02:13:02 Peter Penz wrote:
[..]
> It works very well here with folders having a lot of images (> 1000
> images), but I agree that turning on previews in /usr/bin is a huge problem
> (I was not aware about this). I guess this is an issue in kdelibs
> PreviewJob, where it is timeconsuming to retrieve the MIME-type from the
> files in usr/bin...

Update: I just checked how Dolphin for KDE 4.0 behaves in this regard. There I
just pass the URLs of the items to the PreviewJob and before the job is
started, Dolphin gets blocked too for a few seconds...

I'll do some profiling if I have more time again, I hope I can find a solution
for KDE 4.1.

BTW: can you confirm in your environment that when going into a folder with e.
g. 1000 images that no blocking of the GUI occurs?

Thanks!
Peter

> In opposite to Gwenview Dolphin tries to create previews for each
> MIME-type.
[...]