List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Better solution for allowing slash in filenames
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-01-18 20:34:02

On Friday 18 January 2008, Mark Rose wrote:
> A corner case that is encountered.
Technically you cannot have encountered a corner case that uncommitted code will \
create for the first time :-)

> I have ended up with files named like that when using wget, etc.,
Named how exactly? Please explain. wget can certainly not create files with a '/' in \
the name...

> though I can't say I've ever copy & pasted the
> filename into a browser. Would this also not make typing the filename on the
> command line difficult?
<tab> always helps :)
(but my kde3 konsole shows a square instead of the slash, for lack of finding the \
proper font character...) Anyway, one doesn't have to use this feature if he doesn't \
want to (the target user for having '/' in filenames is certainly not the \
command-line user :)

> As a KDE and command line user, I know it would
> confuse me when typing \/ (escaping with a backslash) and the file wasn't
> referenced.
!?!?!? There is no support for real slashes in filenames at the filesystem level.
$ touch a\/b
touch: cannot touch `a/b': No such file or directory