List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Some news about the WebKit project
From:       Maciej Stachowiak <mjs () apple ! com>
Date:       2007-12-01 1:11:19

Hello KHTML developers and other KDE contributors,

There has been some debate recently in the KDE community about whether
to adopt WebKit (historically evolved from KDE projects such as khtml,
kjs, kdom and ksvg2) as the Web rendering engine for future versions
of KDE.

Many KHTML developers have raised concerns about project governance,
potentially conflicting goals, and the appearance that WebKit is
driven purely by Apple's corporate agenda.

Today we announced a new open, equitable, community-based policy for
choosing future WebKit committers and reviewers: \
<http://webkit.org/blog/146/new-open-committer-and-reviewer-policy/   >. This policy \
should make clear that anyone can get involved in the   project on a fair and equal \
basis.

Also, we recently adopted a set of overall project goals: \
<http://webkit.org/projects/goals.html   >. We believe that these goals are in line \
with KDE's desired   direction for a Web rendering engine. Given this, I think the
possibilities for fruitful collaboration are good.

I don't know if this addresses all KHTML and KDE contributor concerns
about the possibility of a full re-merge with WebKit. But I hope these
moves will make a good starting point for additional discussion. I am
open to additional discussion about ways to enable closer collaboration.

Regards,
Maciej