List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Dolphin with tabs
From:       Juan Carlos Torres <carlosdgtorres () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-07-06 18:20:14

On Friday 06 July 2007, Adam Treat wrote:
> We get that you like Konq.  Which is good!  But you've yet to answer
> Aaron's one simple question.
>
> 1.  What is the use case for tabs in a file manager?
>
> Answer that and we can look at the rest of the questions.

What would be your criteria for a use case? Would the use case of people who
love to use Konqueror as file manager, with tabs, qualify? But if we say
person A uses tabs in file management, you could effectively counter that, by
that fact alone, person A is a power user and isn't the target audience of
Dolphin.

Aside from use cases, isn't convenience reason enough? How about distinct
identity? KDE used to have the only file manager that had tabs. People liked
it. For all Konqueror's shortcomings, I have never heard having tabs for file
management to be one of them. I've also encountered GNOME users wishing
Nautilus had tabs as well.

May I throw back a question? What are the use cases _against_ tabs in a file
manager?

I do agree, however, with Peter Penz's statement that somewhere we must draw
the line. Dolphin clearly was meant to be simple and usable. Not everyone's
going to be happy with it. But we can't please everyone anyway.  It's just
that Dolphin will be the default, and we can't underestimate the power of
defaults. I'll just be crossing my fingers on this one (and on KWrite, too).