List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Dolphin with tabs
From:       "Peter Penz" <peter.penz () gmx ! at>
Date:       2007-07-06 16:07:03

Hello Keith,

> I am purposing that there be setting within dolphin that controls
> whether or not tabs are allowed and that tabs be implemented
> into dolphin.
> I am attaching a patch that implements tabs into dolphin but it
> doesn't yet allow for tabs to enabled/disabled yet or the
> closing of tabs.

First let me thank you for providing a patch instead of "just requesting" a feature.

> I have talked with several individuals some which say tabs should be
> allowed. Others are saying that tabs shouldn't be allowed. I think the
> best
> compromise and solution to making everyone happy is to make a setting for
> tabs and by default the tab feature is disabled keeping dolphin simple.
> Then
> if the user wants a more advanced feature like tabs, the user simple
> enables it.

Dolphin was never intended to replace Konqueror (see also \
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2007/02/konqueror-not-vanishing-news-at-11.html for more \
details). Konqueror will stay as first choice for power users, so it will provide \
tabs, unlimited splitting of views, a very powerful context-menu etc.

So Dolphin aims for a different target audience and we must somewhere draw a line to \
stop adding features just for trying to make everybody happy. I admit that drawing \
this line is very difficult, but in the case of tabs for a file manager I see this as \
a feature for power users.

When it has been made public that Dolphin will get part of KDE 4 two of the most \
                controversal discussion points have been:
- no tree view
- no tabs

We've added the tree-view as it is an orthogonal feature which is turned off per \
default and does not need to get configured. In the case of tabs we would have \
additional menu items for creating a tab, closing a tab it, we must provide \
configuration options (open tabs in background, hide tab bar when only one tab is \
open etc.).

During writing this mail I've just seen that there have been some replies to this \
thread, which cover already some points I wanted to mention. So I'll keep this mail \
short and just want to say again 'thank you' for contributing a patch and willing to \
help. I'm sorry that in this case the consent of the Dolphin developers is that we \
have Konqueror for use cases where tabs are needed.

We would appreciate if you still would help us with contributions and patches and \
hope we did not scare you off by this.

Best regards,
Peter