List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: I have a nice idea for konqueror
From:       "Kimberly Lazarski" <kim () biyn ! com>
Date:       2007-02-06 17:59:17

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 09:07 -0800, Anirudh Sanjeev wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> I have a nice idea for konqueror, but I don't know enough programming
> to try implimenting it myself. I've noticed that people organize their
> folders such that they might end up getting a lot of files and folders
> into one directory, say the home dir, and they spend a long time
> looking for the file that they want. So I say that why not (with the
> user's permission) track what folders the user visits, The more used
> folders appear larger and come on top while the insignificant ones
> come below. Also you can try finding out usage trends, like for
> example, I might have a folder for the project which I use a lot now
> and might not use it, so konqueror should automatically detect the
> important files and folders and display them.

Wasn't that one of the features promised for Reiser (storage of
meta-data for purposes such as this) and also one of the features
promised in a certain nameless Redmond-based company's "WinFS?"

Great idea, but unless it's based on the filesystem, it becomes less
useful and more prone to inaccuracy and/or corruption; i.e., if you
access it via a gnome session/gtk app, or via shell script, would a KDE
service track such accesses to ensure accuracy?

This is where long filenames and folders come in; you can come up with a
basic organizational system, and then use Konqueror's filter feature (I
love that feature, thanks guys!) to limit what gets displayed.

--Kim