Hi, Thank you all for your helpfull answers! torsdag 07 december 2006 09:45 skrev Thiago Macieira: > Fredrik Johansson wrote: > >torsdag 07 december 2006 04:26 skrev Pavel Troller: > >> > How is requiring 15x as much data to do the same thing not a bug? > >> > Both apps running in the same environment implies that this has > >> > nothing to with the DNS server performance--the konqueror client > >> > must be issuing far more DNS requests than the Firefox client. > > It is not a bug. The slowness you're experiencing is not caused by the > extra DNS round-trips. Actualy it did quite some improvement: std. config KDE_NO_IPV6=true ~25 s ~12 s 656 DNS packets 176 DNS packets std.config with nscd KDE_NO_IPV6=true and nscd ~10 s ~8 s 24 DNS packets 0 DNS packets (been refreshing a while) Turning javascript of and on didn't do much difference -1 s or so in both Konqueror and FF 8 s for Konq is very good (you could read the page after 4-5 s and it was loading image 14x of ~170 for over 2 s on all 5 refreshes) Like always it is hard to tell the exact time as they differ on every request, (network latency, serverload etc) > > For whatever reason, kio_http isn't keeping those connections alive, so > it's connecting way more often. And for each connect, there's DNS lookups > (plural). There is a bug in glibc that causes extra, unnecessary lookups, > though. Feel free to report it. Report a bug in glibc about extra network requests, I do belive you, however I dont have the faintest idea about what the issue is, minimal reproducing code etc. That wouldn't be a very constructive bug report, so without knowing why, what and when I wont report it to glibc. > > >> Hi! > >> Isn't it because KDE is by default trying IPv6 first when it detects > >> that the machine is IPv6 enabled ? From my experiences, many DNSs > >> still behave incorrectly on IPv6 (like AAAA or similar) queries so the > >> additional traffic may be caused by this. Try to use tcpdump or > >> wireshark to find, what your machine tries to query from the DNS. > > It isn't the case here. The symptom of broken IPv6 replies are things not > being found or timing out, instead of taking long to render a page. > > >Also if that is the case shouldn't it try IPv6 once and if it fails go > > for plain IP for future requests? > > It does. DNS works perfectly in that aspect. The nameserver caches the > reply, but unfortunately it doesn't cache a no-reply for a field. I don't > know if nscd does. Well given that the DNS packets fell from 656 to 176 by setting KDE_NO_IPV6 are you sure it is working? (Perhaps that was what you meant by the glibc bug) > > But, for the same reason we look up again, we don't cache anything in the > KDE Libraries: we (I) simply don't want to implement DNS rules in KDE. > You have daemons that do that way better than we could. So use them. Ok it did wonders for me so you sold me, but distros include that as a std package? Again thanks for your help! / Fredrik