List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Share/sync bookmarks and cookies between Konqueror and Firefox?
From:       "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti () mclink ! it>
Date:       2006-10-14 8:49:32

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 10:21:08 AM +0200, Thiago Macieira (thiago@kde.org) wrote:

> M. Fioretti wrote:

> While it is technically possible to do it, in practice it's only
> feasible worth doing it if the Firefox developers are willing to
> modify some of their code too. Konqueror uses IPC... Firefox would
> have to cooperate by sending the same IPC signals.

I understand this, thanks. I am not _demanding_ this, even if I
consider it a very useful thing and of course would be very happy to
see it happen (**). In the meantime, what I'm really looking for right
now are just ways and tools to make transparent either a Firefox <->
Konqueror migration or just using *one* of them at a time, without
re-entering any data. In other words, I'm not [directly] interested in
what happens or should happen at the IPC level, just in the formats of
configuration data, the same kind of thing that you too mentioned:

> The file formats ... can be converted to/fro one another. You can,
> thus, have a script that syncs one's file from the other's every N
> minutes.
> KDE's files are:
> $KDEHOME/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml
> $KDEHOME/share/apps/kcookiejar/cookies
>
> Firefox's files are:
> ~/.mozilla/firefox/<something>/bookmarks.html
> ~/.mozilla/firefox/<something>/cookies.txt

I had already looked at all these files myself, before writing the
initial email, and found out their differences. I will write such
filters myself if need be, but is it really possible that they don't
exist yet? That is, is it true that nobody else had this need before?

Thanks,
	Marco

(**) Actually, being again an end user, I'd just be happy to see
common file formats (cookies, bookmarks, form data....) for all FOSS
browsers.

--
The right way to make everybody love Free Standards and Free Software:
http://digifreedom.net/node/73