List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror statusbar
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-10-07 11:58:59

On Thursday 06 October 2005 20:51, miro wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	I must confess, that there is one think I hate about konqueror, the inability
> to disable the statusbar.
>
> Currently used for
> 1. progress-bar
> 	is it really the best place? Moreover it is only used for a few seconds (I
> mean are you willing to wait minutes for a site to load?).

Sometimes you have no choice but to wait...

> 2. link hover
> 	Not really useful, wouldn't a tooltip serve much better?

Tooltips are very intrusive, they pop up in your face and hide parts of the page you're reading...
When you don't need to see the destination of a link, you wouldn't want tooltips to appear.

> Please tell me what you think, I'm willing to get my hands dirty.

Actually you can try it by simply adding ShowStatusBar=false to the view(s) in a profile,
e.g. View0_ShowStatusBar=false (just follow the naming used for "View..._ToggleView" for instance)

We used to have a menu item for toggling it on/off, but we removed it, especially because
the statusbar became per view as opposed to per-mainwindow like in other apps
(the difference is when you split views). Well, we could hide/show all statusbars at once,
but I'm not sure there's strong demand for that.