List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Auto download of flash plugin / bug 66179
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-09-18 22:29:45

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 08:44, BenoƮt Canet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've written a small flash installer for kde 3.5 khtml.
> I know 3.5 is feature freeze but maybe this patch can be usefull for some
> people who make their own kde based distro.
> The installer use an xml configuration file to retrieve some infos about
> available netscape plugins.
> The URL of this configuration file must be given in kcmnspluginrc with a
> key like PluginsListFile=file://$HOME/config.xml.
> When this key is present the installer get the xml file with Netaccess and
> parse it.
> If a plugin is available for this platform and this mimetype a KWizard is
> shown.
> If no plugin is available the normal download plugin dialog is displayed.
> The install wizard looks like Firefox plugin install wizard.
> The wizard download the licence and the plugin tar.gz from macromedia web
> site so there no licence problem.

  Well this is pretty cool.  I'm not sure I like special casing things, but
this is quite a common special case.  I want to review the patch before it
goes in, and it will only make a release of KDE in KDE 4.0.0 at the earliest.
Please keep the bug report active and make sure that it gets into KDE 4 well
before the feature freeze.

> shortcomings :
> 	the wizard doesn't reload the current web page at the end of the install.
> 	I'm not sure if this installer works with the AMD64 platform.

   These really do need to be tested before it goes in.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/