List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Greetings from the Series 60 mobile browser team at Nokia
From:       <roland.geisler () nokia ! com>
Date:       2005-06-13 21:40:30

RE: Recent press release: http://press.nokia.com/PR/200506/998214_5.html

Hi,

I'm heading marketing and strategy at Nokia for Series 60's new mobile browser that \
will be built upon WebCore/KHTML and JavaScriptCore/KJS. I am writing you this email \
to thank you for having built the Konqueror and Safari browser with the two \
components WebCore/KHTML and JavaScriptCore/KJS. I would like to introduce myself and \
some members from our core development team, and explain why we at Nokia have \
selected your code base for our future Series 60 mobile browser. I also hope that \
this will start a mutual dialogue among us that will support all of our projects in \
the future.

Not all of you might be familiar with Series 60. Series 60 is a smart phone software \
platform developed by Nokia, which enables feature rich applications on mobile \
devices. Series 60 is based on the Symbian OS and is written in C++. More information \
can be found from http://www.forum.nokia.com and http://www.series60.com/.

I copied some of our core development team members on this email so you have their \
names and contact information. Antti Koivisto, whom you might know already, is one of \
the co-authors of KHTML and has been working for Nokia Research Center for the past \
few years and recently joined our mobile browser development team in Boston. David \
Carson and Deepika Chauhan are two of the original developers of the Nokia mobile \
browser. Zalan Bujtas, Prabhakar Marnadi, Yongjun Zhang and Sachin Padma have been \
working with mobile browsers for some years at Nokia in Helsinki and Boston. Keith \
Hollis has several years experience working with mobile browsers and has recently \
joined our team in Boston, earlier he was the principal person leading the port of \
the Opera web browser to the Symbian OS at Opera Software. Guido Grassel, Kimmo \
Kinnunen and Andrei Popescu are working at our Nokia Research Center in Helsinki \
(http://www.nokia.com/research/) where we have built the GTK port of Apple's WebCore \
that we released last year - http://gtk-webcore.sourceforge.net/.

The high performance, low memory consumption and small code footprint of KHTML and \
KJS make these components ideal for resource-constrained mobile devices. Clean \
architecture and good design create a good base for future development of mobile \
features. In addition, Web compliance was another important criteria for us. \
Congratulations to the KDE Konqueror developer team for building such a great \
browser.

Big thanks at this point also go to the Apple Safari team that has tremendously \
improved KHTML and KJS in many areas, in particular in Web compliance and \
performance.  WebCore and JavaScriptCore also offer a cleaner separation to the \
underlying operating system. For these reasons we at Nokia chose WebCore and \
JavaScriptCore as the code base for our Series 60 mobile browser.

Our plan is that the new Series 60 mobile browser will be available as a standard \
Series 60 application during the first half of 2006.

We at Nokia are excited to use WebCore/KHTML and JavaScriptCore/KJS for our future \
Series 60 mobile browser. I hope that we can start a dialogue with your community and \
the Apple Safari team on how to "mobilize" WebCore/KHTML and JavaScriptCore/KJS to \
create the best Web browser based on open-source components for mobile devices.

Best regards,

Roland Geisler
Head of Marketing & Strategy, Series 60 Browser
Nokia

PS: Please forward this email to any contributor whom I may have missed.