List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: [First patch] design mode (was: [Q] replacing the textarea
From:       Leo Savernik <l.savernik () aon ! at>
Date:       2004-09-13 10:54:31

Am Sonntag, 12. September 2004 21:47 schrieb Koos Vriezen:
[...]
> There seem to be two ways to do this (as usual, ms and moz way). Looks
> to me the moz way (http://www.mozilla.org/editor/midas-spec.html), is
> far more simplier than the TextObject MS way. What should we support,
> both?

We should support contenteditable, i. e. the MS way, especially as WebCore
does it already. If we master that, midas should be easy to achieve.

[...]
> Making it work somehow, I've took a look at the quanta KHTMLPart override,
> strangely called KafkaWidget, and wondered what would be the best
> approach getting this to work.

Kafka was the name of the old wysiwyg html editor that was KPartized and
integrated into quanta.

> I don't think switching transparently to KafkaWidget when entering a
> design mode, would be the best thing to do.
A dependency on kdewebdev for contenteditable would be quite bad.
> But re-implement/copy code
> from quanta has also its drawbacks, eg it's quite some code (but likely
> some shortcuts too, no parallel node tree needed and access to khtml
> namespace).

I'd like to keep similarity with WebCore as tight as sensible. Then we can
take advantage of Apple's fixes.

> So what to do? Commit this and work further on it? Or no, entering
> design mode means switching to kafka unter the hood? Or we only want MS
> way of doing this?

Do it basically the WebCore-146 way (i. e. quite MS-like). That what I've
always intended to do and will pursue when I find time later on.