This is a jolly interesting discussion, but we have already had quite an extensive discussion of konqueror delete, as a result of which I wrote the patch as it currently is! My ideal would be probably to just always use trash and then have an intelligent trash, but a lot of people did want to have the different options. So I kept them in. The difference I am talking about is not a difference in functionality, just a difference in the way we explain it to the user. As for "making it too complicated" - I think removing 3 delete options from the RMB and replacing them with one configurable option is a big gain in simplicity! But try out the patch and see if you think it is well explained in the kcontrol dialog. Dave On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 22:39, Koos Vriezen wrote: > On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Tim Jansen wrote: > > > There are two reasons why people want to delete (instead of move to trash): > > 1. because they want to conserve disk space > > 2. because they want that nobody is able to view that file > > > > (1) is also somewhat triggered by human instincts. Even when there are > > gigaytes of free disk space people still want to have as much as possible. A > > similar effect can be seen in older MacOS versions: originally the trash icon > > was always the same. Later somebody had the idea that the trash icon should > > show it when there was something in the trash. The result was that people > > started emptying the trash after deleting, because it is a good idea to empty > > your trash bin early & often. In general usability guys seem to regard that > > change in MacOS as a bad thing BTW... > > However, (1) could also be solved by a intelligent mechanism to clean up the > > trash when the disk space is low (but automatically, not with annoying > > dialogs like in windows - if something is in trash there should not be any > > guarantes thatthe file may stay there). > > Just adding my 1.5 cents as a kfm user. > I wouldn't mind kfm trashing a file if I delete it if it's on the same > partition as my home dir. but if I delete eg an iso image on another > partition, I would be quite annoyed and probably not going to use it. Not > to mention remote disks. > Iirc, ms has a trash on each partion (can't be done with linux) and > default not to trash for remote files. Also toggling this with shift del > is a nice feature. > > Koos