List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Trash, Delete, Shred
From:       Claes Holmerson <claes () it-slav ! net>
Date:       2003-06-28 21:51:47

Hi David and others.

Sorry for breaking the thread, I read this thread in the archive and am
not subscribed.

Regarding your work to clean up the clutter in the right click menu, what
about this approach:

Instead of making the meaning of "delete" dependent on how a certain
option is configured, why not make the complete right click menu
configurable in a similar way as the toolbars? In other words, let the
user decide what items are displayed and leave it at that. Then move to
trash can be called "Move to trash" and delete can be called "Delete".
This is more straightforward I think, because I believe it is important
that an action clearly states what will happen.

Probably, most users will not change the menu and then perhaps only "Move
to trash" is shown as default in order to make it as simple as possible,
But personally I want the kind of control that Luis want too - I want to
decide what gets deleted and what is moved to the trashcan. No policy
regarding how the trashcan should be emptied can know better than me
whether something can be gotten rid of or not.

Thanks,
Claes