List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Font rendering errors in CVS HEAD
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () freemail ! hu>
Date:       2003-06-27 19:35:05

(Resending with external screenshots - I've didn't noticed that the mail was
bigger than 40K - , now only to kfm-devel, if you think that it's more
interesting on kde-core-devel, I will send also there).

Hi,

  With the new qt-copy & CVS HEAD I also see font rendering errors which were
not present before. They are really strange as some of them just disappears/
reappears when I scroll the text out of the window and back, and I may
suspect the X video driver, but the fact that it worked before updating from
CVS makes me think that it's not a driver problem. In both case see the
notice also the different font size. In some other cases the font size
changes as I move the cursor above the link. On the example dot page it grew
for two of the [Reply to this], but didn't grew for a third one. And for
those two it's always reproducible. They go back to the smaller case
sometimes when I switch away from Konqui and back, but it depends on their
position (where have I scrolled the window).
 Another problem with font sizes is that when I increase/descrease them, the
renderin will completely screw up, some times are small, some large, some are
rendered badly. See screenshot 3.

Does anyone notice the same thing?

Before you ask me, I have tried the following:

1. run "fc-cache -v". I usually had to do when recompiling qt/kdelibs/kdebase
or konsole wouldn't pick up the good font
2. delete all the fonts.* file from the fonts directory and run "fc-cache -v"
3. reinstall all the font files and run "fc-cache -v".

And as I said nothing else was upgraded here, just qt and kde. I've tested now
with an older KDE BRANCH ckecout and current qt-copy and the bugs are not
visible. So I'm CCing to kfm-devel...

Andras

Screenshot1: http://www.virtualartisans.com/kde/andras/rendering1.jpg
Screenshot2: http://www.virtualartisans.com/kde/andras/rendering2.jpg