List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    (fwd) Re: Greetings from the Safari team at Apple Computer
From:       Dirk Mueller <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-01-07 20:21:39

... and my answer to it.

----- Forwarded message from Dirk Mueller <mueller@kde.org> -----

From: Dirk Mueller <mueller@kde.org>
To: Don Melton @apple.com
[......]
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 21:18:19 +0100

On Die, 07 Jan 2003, Don Melton wrote:

> I'm the engineering manager of Safari, Apple Computer's new web browser
> built upon KHTML and KJS.  I'm sending you this email to thank you for
> making such a great open source project and introduce myself and my
> development team.  I also wish to explain why and how we've used your
> excellent technology.  It's important that you know we're committed to
> open source and contributing our changes, now and in the future, back
> to you, the original developers.  Hopefully this will begin a dialogue
> among ourselves for the benefit of both of our projects.

I hope so too. I'm deeply impressed by your detailed changelog and by
the changes. A few of the changes have already happened in "our" developing
version and many of them were on our TODOs. For example just about this
weekend I was working on improving the kjs garbage collector and now I read
that you apparently already fixed the issues I had with it. Seems to me like
a huge christmas gift. Thank you. Thanks a lot.

Especially I'd like to hope that we could set up a mailing list where we
could exchange ideas, patches and bug reports. Also a common testsuite for
regressions would be nice and probably help us a lot in developing KHTML and
KJS further. Ideally the plan should be, and I hope you agree, to use a
common codebase for the backend.

We've forwarded it to kfm-devel@kde.org.

> P.S. -- I'm sending you this email while attending MacWorld exposition
> so it may take myself and my staff several hours before we can respond
> to email.  My apologies in advance.

Have some nice time there and greetings from Germany, I just watched the
Safari presentation :-)

--
Dirk (received 493 mails today)