List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Fwd: Editing on top of KHTMLPart
From:       Chris Howells <chris () chrishowells ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-03-29 13:06:23

- ----------  Forwarded Message  ----------

Subject: Editing on top of KHTMLPart
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 13:43:59 +0200
From: Jarno Elonen <elonen@iki.fi>
To: kde-kafka@master.kde.org

Hi,

I've been reading through the KDE HTML libraries and come up with a few
questions. I hope someone could comment on them.

I personally have a gut feeling that using DOM as the only storage for the
document would probably be very difficult if you, at the same time, try to
preserve the original formatting, scripting, incomplete and invalid tags etc.

But that aside, I would like to discuss some other issues first: if you
didn't rely on DOM tree entirely as the Kafka RFC1 suggests, but indeed kept
two separate versions of the document: text (master) and DOM (slave), at
least the following questions would still remain. Experiense with them,
anyone?

 + KHtml-library maps rendered objects to DOM nodes
   => The DOM Node object needs a character index of the original
      document from which it was parsed. Is there support for it?
      Or can the HTML parser be derived?

 + Use KHTMLPart for displaying the document
   => Seems to have some handy features like DOM::Node nodeUnderMouse();
      and DOM::Range selection();. Are these practically usable for
      an editor?
   => How to show a text cursor? Is there an official way to do this
      or do you have to trick with setSelection() etc?
      + How about handling keyboard navigation? Do you have to write
        it manually or can you apply some generic text editing tools
        to KHTMLPart?
   => Can it do partial updates when you change a node or do you
      have to reparse and -draw the whole document every time you
      add a character to a text node?

 + Use Kate(part) as a source code editor
   => are there SCP/FTP uploading plugins already for HTML editing?
   => Could the whole WYSIWYG editor actually be a kate plugin - an
      alternative way/kpart for editing a HTML text document?

- - Jarno