List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Table rendering doesn't seem very high on developers' list. How come?
From:       Mukhsein Johari <arashi1 () pd ! jaring ! my>
Date:       2002-03-26 13:10:47

Hello all,

Now that we are heading to kde3.0, I would like to call attention to the
numerous still open table related bugs in bugs.kde.org. Some of these bugs
have remained open and un-addressed since kde 2.1 days! (many but as an
example: #21445).

The thing about tables is that any misrenderings are quite obvious and becomes
quite ugly when it occurs. This gives konqi a bad "unfinished" feel /
reputation if one compares to mozilla 0.9.8 and sometimes earlier ones.

This is unfortunate as konqi renders a lot of stuff (namely CSS1 and CSS2
stuff) much better than any other browsers out there. And konqi's ecma-DOM
implementation is "Pretty Damned Good!".

I would like to ask that developers look at the bugs.kde.org database before
going off to implement some other cool new feature. Please address the long
standing ones! I would also suggest that html rendering bugs be addressed
before tackling performance issues. It's not much of a win if konqi renders a
page quickly but incorrectly.

I'm using kde from yesterday's CVS and many of the bugs (from 2.1.x) days are
still present! (I'm talking mainly about table related bugs since I use it a
lot - as I'm sure many other web developers!)

The other thing is that, many testers (myself included) send in bug reports
and when they see it being left from version to version, they will get
discouraged. Ugly work-arounds will have to be used in their html. I'm sure
that there must be a balance between developers and testers time. Testers
also spend much time and effort trying to track down the html rendering bugs
and many provide testcases to ease the developers in tracking the bug in the
C++ source. Many (I would say, most) web developers are not C++ developers so
this is the best that they can do. I'm sure as developers you appreciate
clueful bug reports, yes? Let me stress that nothing is more encouraging to
alpha/beta testers than having their bugs looked at.

Please give priority to the bugs first, and then to new features.

--
Regards,
Mukhsein Johari