List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: KIO/KHTML Error Handling Update
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-28 23:27:58

On Saturday 26 January 2002 07:06 pm, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The new documentation for all 60-odd error messages is in cvs.
>
> I have also committed the changes to khtml_part and konq_run. The error://
> sub-URL code is commented out because it doesn't appear to work - David,
> could you have a look? do a search for "rodda", it's commented.
>
> I also had to comment out the javascript-disabling code in showError
> because it was triggering an assert: KJS::Window::retrieveWindow at
> kjs_window.cpp:256 - this can't have been due to my code as far as I can
> tell.
>
> Can KIO be extended such that the operation type (get, put, etc) and the
> URL be seamlessly passed to the error handler? The operation type in
> particular would allow me to improve the error messages even further...
>
> Can someone please clarify for me the following? Thanks.
>
> ERR_UNSUPPORTED_PROTOCOL
> Does this mean that the protocol version of the server is not supported, or
> that the server does not support the client's version of the protocol?

It means that KDE does not support the protocol. E.g. "https" is not supported
if you do not have SSL installed.

> I suggest adding ERR_SERVER_UNSUPPORTED_PROTOCOL to indicate the latter (the
> webdav ioslave will activate this one).

I think it might be better to add something like ERR_CUSTOM which would allow
the slave to specify the whole message itself.

> Is there a difference between the following:
>
> ERR_CANNOT_OPEN_FOR_WRITING and ERR_WRITE_ACCESS_DENIED?

The first one is slightly more generic. It's also less helpfull since it can
be anything... (e.g. disk full, path does not exist, no access etc..)

> ERR_COULD_NOT_LISTEN and ERR_COULD_NOT_BIND?

Appearantly used when calls to listen() or bind() fail.

> ERR_COULD_NOT_CLOSEDIR gives an error message of "Could not terminate
> listing" - does this mean that a listing was requested, then cancelled, and
> the listing could not be terminated? I didn't document this one yet because
> I don't understand it myself.

This one sounds completely useless. Probably added by someone who checks all
his memory allocations as well.

Cheers,
Waldo
--