List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Unneccesary translations for the upcoming release
From:       Maarten ter Huurne <mth () stack ! nl>
Date:       2002-01-28 18:32:28

On Monday 28 January 2002 02:43, Hamish Rodda wrote:

> >> "Inproperly Formatted URL"

> >> "<strong>L</strong>ocation (URL) that you entered was not properly "
> >> "formatted. The format of a URL is generally as follows:"
> >> "<blockquote><strong>protocol://user@password:www.example.org:port/direc
> >>to ry/" "filename.extension?query=value</strong></blockquote>"
> >
> >Actually, no. The // is only used for hosts, not for files.
>
> can you suggest a better way of putting it? I could delete the second
> sentance.

Maybe you can give some examples of valid URLs.

In my experience most users are very capable of learning from examples, but
are unable to read formal language. Just look at the way most people learned
to write HTML before there were wysiwyg editors: by doing copy-paste from the
source of other pages, not by reading the specs.

> >> "URL Does Not Refer to a Resource."
> >
> >Hm? What does that mean?
>
> It's better than saying "Request referred to a filter protocol". this is
> when someone enters something like tar:/ without giving a source file.

What about "Incomplete URL."?

> >> "Could Not Bind"
> >>
> >> "This is a fairly technical error in which a required "
> >> "device for network communications (a socket) could not be established "
> >> "to listen for incoming network connections."

I think the most common cause for this error is that another program (or
another instance of the same program) is already listening on the same port.
Maybe it's useful to add that as a troubleshooting suggestion.

Bye,
		Maarten