List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: KIO/KHTML Error Handling Update
From:       Dirk Mueller <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-27 14:01:13

On Son, 27 Jan 2002, Hamish Rodda wrote:

> I know that this is late, and I am sorry for causing such trouble. If you feel
> that reversing this patch is the best thing to do, I will do so without
> hesitation :)

The problem / the part that annoyed me is that I can not revert it anymore
because the i18n-extraction was just running at the time you committed so it
was immediately picked up.

> important and interesting things to do. As I see it, kio will only produce
> more useful and specific error messages when the meaning of errorText can be
> better defined than it is now (be that a per-error definition or a general
> "additional information about the error" definition).

Yes, but KIO can not give them a better meaning. Only the application and
the specific protocol slave could.

> translated... in the end I think the i18n() calls are a much better solution
> because of the high rate of repetition.

Yes, no doubt about that. but they're in kdelibs, and its about 980 lines of
new fuzzys two days before a release. same i18n strings are combined anyway
by gettext btw.

> So, please tell me if you think this has come at too much of a wrong time, and
> I will revert the changes and store them away for another day :)

Its too late now.

> Good point, I tried to avoid most of the braindamage and that's one of the
> things I missed. Another is the use of the word server, as KIO isn't
> necessarily talking to a server all of the time, though mostly it is.

Yes. Your second patch doesn't make that much better. For one you hardcoded
the amount of networking protocols in it - unacceptable.

Also I'm personally not so happy about the reasonings and solution advices,
namely:

- claiming its a hardware failure.
- claiming that starting konqueror as root will help in any way
- claiming that telling the remote server administrator will help
  (who knows if its remote ? can be your local service as well)

while there are much simpler and more likely advises missing, like "try it
again". IE has that nice refresh-link embedded in the page, I personally
like that.

of course you can only do that in khtml and not in the KIO error
messageboxes.

> use the interface having to be modified.  If this was moved to khtml, both
> khtml and kio would have to be updated to produce more specific output, as
> you explain here..

no, I was thinking that KIO provides a list of possible "causes" and
"solutions" and the ioslave being able to choose and combine them.

if the ioslave doesn't do that, KIO could use some defaults.

Dirk