List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: KIO/KHTML Error Handling Update
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-01-27 13:01:21

On Sunday 27 January 2002 13:40, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> Let me know one way or the other, whether it's commit or revert...

Looks good to me, I think this should go in - but maybe wait for Dirk's
approval.

BTW Dirk: when I said "ok to commit" I was under the impression it was about
the error:// stuff mainly, which _is_ a bugfix for the currently bad handling
of errors in konqueror (the "get() after stat()+error" problem). Didn't
realize there would be so much new i18n stuff and code in KIO. But, hmm, it's
in now, and if translators don't like much new strings, they hate it even
more when those new strings get removed, after they actually started to
translate them :}.

> I don't want to press my luck, but to resolve the ioslave error reporting
> deficiency once and for all, could KURL *requestURL be added to the
slavebase
> error() call with a default argument of 0L?

The problem is to implement passing new data via the KIO protocol without
breaking runtime compatibility with KDE-2 ioslaves (which Waldo ensured up to
know). I don't think this is possible (without huge hacks) - I should say, I
don't think it's worth it. In many cases the URL can be grabbed from the Job
anyway.

> Also I was thinking that KIO::Job
> should be able to remember the job type by a protected method setJobType(int
> type) which is called from derived classes...
And we'd have an enum for job types? Doesn't make it very extensible.
Apps are allowed to inherit Job to create their own specific job, and then it
won't be in the enum. What would be the use of the job-type in fact ?

> and that the .protocol files
> could have a flag added to specify if they are network-based protocols or
> not.
Yes, looking at your code this looks necessary. You can easily add that,
editing all .protocol files, and adding the code to

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david, http://www.konqueror.org
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops