List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: KIO/KHTML Error Handling Update
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-01-27 11:19:30

On Sunday 27 January 2002 06:59, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> >Having a short look at the possible causes and solutions you added to
> >global.cpp it makes me wonder if we should really include this section, and
> >if it should be really hardcoded in kio. I wonder because that part of the
> >code does not have the slightest idea of the origin and the cause of the
> >error, so it is really unable to give out any advises. i.e. giving the
> >advise to mail webmaster@<givenhost> is really inapropiate for ftp
> >urls. I don't like to resemble IE's braindamage that reports every error as
> >DNS or Server failure. At _least_ the advises should be set by the ioslave
> >producing the error.

I personally think that even for HTTP urls, including a link to automatically
spam webmaster@host when it seems host is down (and it's in fact your dialup
that's down, or your proxy settings messed up, or the moon not in phase with
kio_http....) isn't a good idea at all.
I think that's the kind of braindamage we don't want to copy from IE.

OTOH a tip about how to increase the timeout value when getting a timeout can
be useful, since we have quite a small default value for that.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david, http://www.konqueror.org
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops