List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: kdelibs/khtml/rendering
From:       Dirk Mueller <dmuell () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-12-29 12:08:41

On Sam, 29 Dez 2001, Peter Kelly wrote:

> I suspect we can prevent this by using the WPaintUnclipped flag on
> the KHTMLView's viewport, but alas QScrollView provides no way to do this.

Nope. there is no way to paint over a foreign widget in X11.

> I tried having the widget set as hidden, and showing it just when I
> wanted it painted, and also having the widget shown but placed outside of
> the viewing area but both caused problems as widgets were not behaving
> as expected when this was the case.

Yes, basically the widget has to be visible and exactly at the right place,
otherwise you'll always find cases where it misbehaves. And I believe you
can not grab a window of an embedded application, ike the Java applets or
your favorite movie player (which use YUV overlays and will not blit in any
pixmap no matter how hard you try).

In addition, I don't think we want a double-buffering over the screen
rendering of such a movie player :)

> widget in place and visible but to filter paint events.... I believe it is
> just a matter of being able to paint on top of the widget area
> (WPaintUnclipped).

You can't. You have NO way to paint in a different widget you don't own.

Anyway, there is an easy fix for the misplaced widget problem, and I was
working on it. the z-order problem is unsolvable with native widgets.

Dirk