List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: validator.w3.org (was Re: IE6 changed behavaior...)
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-12-19 5:03:07

On Tuesday 18 December 2001 22:33, Florian Ehrenthal wrote:
|   On Wednesday 19 December 2001 01:07, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|   > |   i recently noticed, that MS changed IE6s behavior when no
|   > | formatting"rule" is provided. if i remember correctly, everthing is
|   > | by
|   >
|   > can you provide testcase, please?
|   > Also: do you refer to HTML4 Transitional or HTML4 Strict?
|   > (IE6 has different rendering for those 2 modes)
|
|   OK, maybe if been too fast. doctype is xhtml1 transitional ... but during
|   validation (validator.w3.org) i stumbled across various errors.

Do you speak about MS IE6/Windows?
Than you may want to ask Chris Wilson <cwilso@microsoft.com> what exactly
they changed (and send us his answer)
He is Project Leader for IE/Windows and should know what they changed ;-)

Anyway, as far as I know Microsoft doesn't claim compliance of their browsers
with XHTML. Or at least that's what project leader for MacIE told about
_MacIE_ (which is different browser from IE/Win, it uses so-called _Tasman_
engine).
So, if you have XHTML1 Transitional testcase, you will have to make it
HTML4.01 Strict first (before sending to Chris Wilson) and validate with
Validator.
As you see, requirements from Microsoft guys are much more strict than from
Konqueror developers :-)

BTW: again, any chance to see URL you were refering in your initial mail?

|   but i noticed something interesting, maybe anyone can confirm that
| (1024x768 screenresolution -> validator.w3.org needs to be scrolled
| vertically). load validator.w3.org (window maximized (don't know if it
| matters...)) notice the scrollbars which shouldn't be there at all? ok, but
| lets go further

sorry, I don't understand what you speak about.
I use Validator quite often and don't have any problem with it.
(except the fact that for some reason validator can't reach newmail.ru domain
and all web sites on it - I guess it's some kind of routing problem; anyway,
I can upload files for validation and it's more less ok...)

|   the "navbar" containing the links can be seen - no problems.
|   no do a validation an tell konqi do go back in history. now the menu is
|   covered by parts which should normally be below. but this time there is
| no horizontal-scrollbar.
|
|   argh, those scrollbars are evil(tm), they appear almost everytime when
| they shouldn't...

???

I thought that using TABLEs in HTML is Evil (tm), your statement about
scrollbars is rather new for me :-)
How do you suggest to handle CSS { overflow: auto } without scrollbars?
Or IFRAME's? Or OBJECT tags with content not fitting into required size?

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)