List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: KHTML 2.2.2 - table rendering problem with an example
From:       Maarten ter Huurne <mth () stack ! nl>
Date:       2001-11-25 22:26:19

On Sunday 25 November 2001 20:55, Pavel Troller wrote:

>   - These tables are obviously not rendered correctly - they are
> incomplete. Konq stops relayouting too soon and some of E1 streams don't
> show all their channels (every E1 stream should have EXACTLY 31 channels).
> It's interesting that after reloading the page, its completion ratio is
> better.

I can reproduce this problem with KDE 2.2.2 release version. After reloading,
different images were missing. I also saved the HTML to disk, with none of the
image files present, and then some of the "broken image placeholders" did not
show up either.

With the KMOZILLA component there are no missing images, so this is probably
a KHTML problem rather than a Konqueror problem.

>   - The ALT descriptions, necessary for viewing customer names connected
>     to the particular channel, are not working.

You mean the "tool tip" style pop-ups containing the ALT text? The HTML 4.01
spec describes the ALT property as follows: "For user agents that cannot
display images, forms, or applets, this attribute specifies alternate text".
Since Konqueror can display images, it does not have to show the ALT text.
However, for interoperability with broken pages out there, it would be nice
if this feature is added to Konqueror. You could enter it in the bug database
under "wishlist", if it is not there already.

>   - The main table is placed in <p align="center"> </p>. Why it is
>     not centered ?

The table tag cannot exist inside a paragraph. Therefore, as soon as KHTML
encounters "<TABLE>", it will stop the paragraph that was centered and start
displaying the table in the usual left-aligned fashion. Since the page is
broken, any rendering could be considered correct.

Bye,
		Maarten