List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Table rendering problem, feature or normal ?
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-11-25 0:35:28

On Saturday 24 November 2001 23:28, Daniel Naber wrote:
> On Saturday 24 November 2001 17:37, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > I wonder if it wouldn't be better to suppress all relayouting until we
> > are either done loading the page completely or at least 2 seconds have
> > expired.
>
> Remember that people are also using a browser to browse local files and
> files on the intranet, where you expect page to appear immediately. For
> that, 2 seconds is much too long IMHO.

If the whole page is loaded in two seconds I would agree with you. But then
the page is not loading anymore and this whole piece of code is bypassed
anyway.

Reason I wrote this patch btw is exactly for pages that are local, on an
intranet or in the browser cache: the first relayout relatively eats more
time for doing this relayout than giving the impression of being 'fast' by
being progressive, at least on slower CPUs. So essentially the effect of the
early relayout is the opposite of being fast.

Question still is whether my patch solves this problem, since I haven't been
able to test the patch...

Martijn