List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Regular expression library choices
From:       Rob Gillen <rgillen () webmd ! net>
Date:       2001-11-06 16:23:51

Okay, I got word back from John Maddock, the author of Regex++.  I
learned something new, and something about POSIX regular expressions,
something that perhaps wasn't too clear to me.  This is a snippet of
what he has to say:

     The main difference is in the way things are matched: POSIX (and
     regex++) uses the "leftmost longest rule", while perl uses a
     "greedy/non-greedy" mechanism - for example ".*([a-zA-Z]*).*" $1
     will match the first word under POSIX rules and the last word under
     perl/Javascript rules.

     I keep meaning to investigate adding a "perl compatible matching
     mode" to regex++, but haven't found the time (and probably won't
     this side of Christmas).

So, I was wrong, and it appears, unfortunately, that Regex++ probably
isn't going to work at this time.  It's a shame, because it really is a
very nice library.

Rob

--
Rob Gillen