List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Obsolete old regex support?
From:       Michael Bedy <mjbedy () mediaone ! net>
Date:       2001-10-26 21:57:37

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Harri Porten wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Michael Bedy wrote:
>
> >   1) Go thorugh the trouble of maintaining both interfaces in the code via
> >      ifdefs.
> >   2) Disable regex support completely if you don't have pcre.
> >   3) Make pcre a hard requirement.
>
> I'd favor 1) because of not losing users that can't get it on their system
> too easily (e.g. Windows). Can't you just keep the old code inside of
> #ifdef's and keep on hacking with the new one ? I would take care of
> keeping the old version running. If that's too much work I opt for 2).

   I don't think it would be that much trouble to maintain the old code.
If we do that then I think we should make the user assert that he wants to
build without pcre. Something like adding a --disable-pcre switch to
configure.  If the user does not specify --disable-pcre, and libpcre is
not available, configure should fail with a message telling the user why.
If they specify --disable-pcre then use the old interface. This way the
user (at least the person that did the build) has been fully warned that
they will get much poorer regular expression support unless they install
libpcre.

   When will this KJS_NEW_API branch be ready? I was going to start on
this, but I guess I'll wait a bit if a major overhaul is occuring.

    - Mike

   (I did a cvs diff on the new api branch, and the changes looked very
significant. I don't want to collide with them.)