List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: CSS1 compliance/support
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-10-25 15:56:23

On Thursday 25 October 2001 12:50, Dirk Mueller wrote:
|   On Don, 25 Okt 2001, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|   > Questions are:
|   > 1) is Konqueror/KHTML CSS1 compliant?
|
|   No, and it will never be. As CSS2 is in some points CSS1-incompatible we
|   always follow CSS2 rules, which makes us fail CSS1 tests, but thats okay,
|   because no other important browser follows the CSS1 tracks either as far
| as I know.

Microsoft claims that MacIE5 (version of IE running on _Macintosh only_,
'Tasman' rendering engine) fully supports CSS1.
And MS also claims that recently released IE6/Win has also CSS1 support.
Quoting mail which I fwd'ed:
  "IE6/Windows has full CSS Level 1 compliance, just as IE5/Mac did when it
shipped over a year ago, which was certainly not true for other browsers at
the time"
So, it makes me thinking that they really did some job and got IE working, at
least on W3C CSS1 test suite.
Anyway, compliance with  W3C CSS1 test suite is no way indication for
*quality of browser*. That's why I am trying to do it in alternative way (own
CSS test suite).

BTW: Tantek Celik makes very clear statement that CSS2 specification is
broken, at least partially. And he supports idea of getting CSS 2.1 in place,
not waiting for CSS3 being completed, with those bugs in spec.fixed.
Unfortunately, other members of CSS WG are not so verbose. Just one or two
comments from "Chris Wilson" <cwilso@microsoft.com> (IE/Windows project
leader). Netscape and Mozilla hackers are somewhat silent. May be, because
they are busy closing Mozilla bugs :-)
And no comment from Opera.

|   If you leave out the incompatibilities we're close to conformant, which
|   doesn't mean that we support full CSS1, it means that all we leave out is
|   optional anyway. I can't remember off-hand what parts we fail in CSS1
|   though, if you find out, let me know.

I was thinking to re-run CSS1 tests once more. Unfortunately, I am somewhat
short on time at a moment. Any takers? :-)
// or I will do it after Nov. 7th.

Anyway, I think it makes sense ti re-run these tests with IE6, too, and
compare results to Konq results.
Remember that we can add some "hacks" in *quirk* mode, and become compatible
with CSS1 only in *quirk* mode.
What about such proposal?  Funny, isn't it?
But I guess that's what MS did with IE6. My testing shows that they have
completely different rendering for the same code (valid HTML code!), with
just Doctype changed from Transitional to Strict.

|   Dirk

mail from www-style mailing list (quoted "as is")
Re: "inline" elements in CSS2 box model, and "inline-block" in CSS3