List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Regular Expressions - PCRE wins, I think.
From:       Michael Bedy <mjbedy () mediaone ! net>
Date:       2001-10-18 2:23:37

  Hi,

  Well, I'm not exactly a Regular Expression Guru, so if someone thinks I
got something wrong here, please let me know.

  It looks to me like QRegEx gets very close, but misses a few crucial
features. The biggest of these is lack of /m support and all the various
things that go along with it. Also, the "." atom always matches newlines
in QRegEx. This is equivelant to the /s option in Perl, but Javascript
unfortunatly requires that "." not match newlines.

  In addition, the /g option is not directly supported in QRegEx, however
it could be emulated with a little bit of work.

  In short, I think PCRE is our best bet.

  It may require switching to the "native" PCRE interface to implement
everything correctly. The POSIX interface that it is currently using
(or, at least it was when I saw it last) is just a compatability layer
over the real interface. I've got to look at the documentation some more.

  I'll probably work on this this weekend. I've kinda been out of the KDE
loop until a week ago. When are the feature freezes and stuff?

    - Mike