List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Modified Konqueror
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () ism ! nl>
Date:       2001-10-17 11:59:20

On Wednesday 17 October 2001 13:43, David Faure wrote:
> I'd be fine with a patch that adds a command-line argument to Konqueror,
> making it always fullscreen (adding checks around "go back to normal mode"
> to disable that, whichever way this would happen).
>
> A separate application is a good idea too - is yours opensource ? ;-)

The application is unfortunately not, but the code that deals with the
KHTMLPart is so ridiculously easy thanks to KHTML's good API that Aviram
should be able to write that in only a few days. If he's experienced with the
KDE/Qt API even less.

The difficult parts of our app were all the specialized features that Konq
couldn't provide anyway. And the necessary fixes to the KDE libs, like @media
support. After all we should give something open back to the community, even
though the app itself is commercial ;-)

<off-topic>
Seriously, I think this is the best development model for commercial use that
one could wish: write a closed commercial app, but don't work around the
quirks and missing infrastructure in your libs - instead fix the libs. It
doesn't hurt your app's market value, since the lib changes alone do not hurt
the commercial value of the app, but those same lib changes are of great
value to the community and open software's market share (and hence potential
customers!). And in the end it even improves the quality of your app, since
workarounds are always hard to maintain.

Yes, commercial companies developing for open platforms should learn a whole
new development model...
</off-topic>

Martijn