List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Modified Konqueror
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-10-17 10:49:19

Hello,

please use kfm-devel@kde.org to contact the konqueror developers

On Mercredi 17 Octobre 2001 04:47, Aviram Alkalay wrote:
> Folks, we are working on a project for a big supermarket in Brazil. We are
> planing to run RedHat Linux 7.1 (Konqueror 2.1) on every supermarket's
> Points Of Sale (checkout) machine.

Great ! ;)

> Our customer program will generate HTML pages for every product, subtotal,
> and total, and Konqueror will show this pages. This is not a web
> application, that means that Konqueror will not contact a web server. It
> will access HTML pages generated on the disk.
> The POS (point of sale) machine has only 64Mb and a relativelly slow
> processor.
>
> We are facing 2 problems that we expect you can help us:
>
> How can we show on the full screen only the HTML area? We don't want to
> see any button, toolbar, window-manager widget, etc. This is a security
> issue. We don't want to let the operator manipulate the window. Browsing
> Konqueror files, I found some XML that define the user-interface. Is this
> the way?

Yes and no. Konqueror has a fullscreen mode, as you have certainly seen,
and you can activate it with DCOP, doing
dcop konqueror  'konqueror-mainwindow#1' activateAction fullscreen

However the user will be able to exit the fullscreen mode using the right-mouse-button,
but you can easily disable that using konqview's enablePopupMenu(false).
Hmm, but how to get hold of the KonqViewIface dcop interface ? I think you need to
call dcopObject() in the KonqView::KonqView constructor, after m_dcopObject=0.
Whoever added that dcop call is certainly on kfm-devel and will be able to comment,
hopefully ;)

> We'll divide the window in 2 HTML frames. How can we externally (from a
> remote command) change the URL (file:/var/www/something) of only one frame
> without reloading the container HTML or the other frame? I tried to find a
> dcop method to do that without success. If we can't change the frame's
> URL, how can we reload the container HTML without opening a new window?

I'm not too sure how you could do that, either.
If you were using two konqueror views (a splitted window), you could use KonqView's openURL.
With an HTML frameset and HTML frames, it's all one view as far as konqueror
is concerned. You could then use some javascript to change the location
of one frame, but I'm not sure how to activate javascript code from a DCOP call.
Anyone ?

Note that you could simply modify the code, add a dcopinterface to khtml_part,
with a single "executeScript" method, that allows to do that. Or a dcop call that
changes the url of the frame directly, to avoid any javascript in the middle.

> IBM is investing a lot of money in Linux this year.
> It is one of our big focuses. You will hear even more things about IBM
> support for Linux next year, because it will be THE main focus.

Hehe, I know that since IBM is sponsoring hardware for KDE development ;)

Thanks for your interest in Konqueror,
David.

http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/ , http://www.konqueror.org/
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops