List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Java and https
From:       Johannes Hofmann <Johannes.Hofmann () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-10-09 9:08:51

Hi,

recently I played around with Swing applets and https. After installing
the jsse stuff from sun downloading of applets via https worked fine.
But the applet could not establish https connections.
I got an exception like the one described in
http://bugs.kde.org/db/21/21053.html
This is caused by the entry

  # List of comma-separated packages that start with or equal this string
  # will cause a security exception to be thrown when
  # passed to checkPackageAccess unless the
  # corresponding RuntimePermission ("accessClassInPackage."+package) has
  # been granted.
  package.access=sun.

in the java.security file of the jdk. When comenting out the last line,
everything works fine.

Is there any reason, why an applet should not be allowed to access
classes from the "sun." packages?

Regards,
Johannes Hofmann

PS: I am using kde-2.2.0, jdk1.3.1 on FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE