List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: KNewsTikcer does not understand Content-Encoding and Moved Permanently
From:       Frerich Raabe <frerichraabe () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-09-16 17:34:00

Hi,

the reported problems are only partially KNewsTicker's fault. ;-)

1.) KDE applications don't care about Content-Encoding (and shouldn't have to)
since the KIO slaves which are used to retrieve the data from the network
decompress (and preprocess in general) the data on the fly. This might be
merely a malfunction of the HTTP KIO slave, try opening the file (the source
file you specified in the configuration, that is) with Konqueror to check
whether it breaks as well. If it does, it's probably a KIO problem.

2.) Moved Permanently should indeed be supported by KNewsTicker. The problem
is that the current KIO API only provides a relatively generic 'redirect'
signal, which appears to be inappropriate in this case as we only care about
'permanent' redirects. I think KIO itself needs to be adjusted in this case,
CC'ing the corresponding KDE list.

- Frerich
)øCG¨Z;A¨EG