List:       keycloak-dev
Subject:    [keycloak-dev] Can KeyCloak support Multi-lateral SAML federation?
From:       Chris.Phillips () canarie ! ca (Chris Phillips)
Date:       2018-09-10 14:55:40

Hi.
I sent this to the Users list and have had zero response.  Re-sending here on the dev \
list hoping to hear feedback and thoughts from Keycloak Devs on my questions around \
KeyCloak's ability to support multi-lateral federation and if it is on the roadmap.

Thanks and look forward to thoughts and comments..

Chris.

?On 2018-08-30, 4:06 PM, "keycloak-user-bounces at lists.jboss.org on behalf of Chris \
Phillips" <keycloak-user-bounces at lists.jboss.org on behalf of Chris.Phillips at \
canarie.ca> wrote:

    Hi.
    I?m going through assessing KeyCloak as being able to be an Identity Provider in \
a multi-lateral SAML federation context and am seeking insight from the users and \
devs involved in KeyCloak.
    For an IdP to be considered interoperable in a multi-lateral SAML trust \
federation context,  IdPs need to be able to do a base set of functions. These are \
some of the critical (but not only) ones:
      *   Retrieve, with a configurable frequency (usually hourly), an online \
                metadata aggregate
      *   validate the signature on the aggregate
      *   when signature validity is verified, load all the entities (Identity \
Providers/Service Providers) to be trusted or used in trust decisions in the Identity \
Provider.
    I have not seen this capability in KeyCloak 4.3.0.Final (docker) but could be \
missing something.
    Is anyone using KeyCloak in this manner or are there plans for this functionality \
on KeyCloak?s technical roadmap?
    Some additional items to decorate my ask for information..

    To give an idea of scale, the aggregates I want to work with have ~4500 entities \
with 2800 IdPs and 2100 SPs and need to  be refreshed hourly.
    The list of items important for interoperability can be seen here with the ones I \
called out above appearing in section 2.2.1:  \
https://kantarainitiative.github.io/SAMLprofiles/fedinterop.html

    I?ve searched the keycloak-users list a bit and came across the reference to \
EntitiesDescriptor which lead me to this issue and code update in KeyCloak: \
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/KEYCLOAK-4399 which leads me to think that the \
support for reading in aggregates is not possible and maybe engineered out of the \
product itself.  Am I right in thinking that?

    Thoughts and insights welcome..

    Chris.