List:       kernelnewbies
Subject:    Re: init/main.c question
From:       Russell Miller <rmiller () duskglow ! com>
Date:       2004-10-25 13:32:02

On Monday 25 October 2004 02:08, Greg KH wrote:

> Think of an initramfs holding the userspace tools to create the initial
> mount device (through a network connection, or whatever else you think
> of, etc.)

It appears to override the init parameter passed on the command line (If I
understand what execute_command is for).  Is this also by design?

That seems to preclude using another init for recovery. (init=/bin/sh)

> > It also looks to be either a security help or a great way to shoot
> > yourself in the foot...
>
> It's allowing us to move a lot of very crappy kernel code into
> userspace, and out of the kernel.

That's always a good thing.

--Russell

--

Russell Miller - rmiller@duskglow.com - Le Mars, IA
Duskglow Consulting - Helping companies just like you to succeed for ~ 10 yrs.