List:       kernelnewbies
Subject:    Re: kernel version of module editable where
From:       Ken Moffat <ken () kenmoffat ! uklinux ! net>
Date:       2003-05-31 21:45:49

On Sat, 31 May 2003, Pat LaVarre wrote:

> How do I rename the kernel I'm building?

 In the top level Makefile, play with the extraversion.  You'll need to
run `make dep' after this, at least for 2.4, and you'll need to make
clean or mrproper if you've built anything, so save the .config !

> And is that the same question as:
>
> How do I build a module to try loading into whatever
> kernel?

I think it's quite different. As a total newbie here, I don't plan to
answer that, but there are some details in the FAQ referred to at the
bottom of this mail.

> My uname-r is "2.4.20-xfs".
>
> >From http://www.kernel.org/ I fetched 2.4.20 and built
> a new drivers/usb/storage/usb-storage.o.
>
> If I copy what I built to
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/ then modprobe chokes
> via:
>
> ...: couldn't find the kernel version the module was
> compiled for
> ...: insmod ... failed
> ...: insmod usb-storage failed
>
> I presume I've built a 2.4.20 module and not a
> 2.4.20-xfs module, ouch.

 Why don't you compile the kernel again, in it's entirety, with a
different extraversion ?  That way, it should all fit together with
itself, and you don't overwrite existing files.  One of the worst things
you can have, IMHO, is a mixture of incompatible modules in the same
directory (say, you changed options for what was built as modules /
built in, and have left-over modules from the first attempt which no
longer load).

Ken

> How do I build a module to try loading into whatever
> kernel?
>
> Pat LaVarre

Live Long or Prosper! No, wait, that wasn't it...