List:       kernelnewbies
Subject:    Re: Changing the source IP of outgoing UDP packets on a socket
From:       Kashif Shaikh <k2shaikh () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-01-29 5:11:38

Ok, I'm going to try answering both your responses Seth and
Sridhar:(I'm not at work, so I'm using my yahoo account).

>Quoting Seth Arnold <sarnold@wirex.com>:
>>
>> Does the bind(2) system call do what you need?

Thanks seth,

My fault for not understanding bind fully, until I read the man 7
socket: "...connect(2) connects a socket to a remote socket address,
and bind(2) function binds a socket to a local socket address".   So
yes, bind(2) is what I needed.

>Quoting sridhar vaidyanathan <sridarv@ufl.edu>
>There is a type called SOCK_PACKET which you can specify when you
>create >the
>socket.Using this you can create your own packets also.
>try reading up more information on this.

Actually you if I wanted to I could create a SOCK_RAW socket, and then
specify the IP header through IP_HDRINCL option.  I'm not sure if the
following applies to 2.4 kernels but raw(7) states: "In Linux 2.2 all
IP header fields and options can be set using IP socket options."
Though I'll check out SOCK_PACKET.

>-sridhar

Thanks for everyone replying,

This will help me implement virtual netbios hosts for samba registering
with WINS server or client Windows machines(extending the idea for
netbios aliases).

Kashif Shaikh

http://mailplus.yahoo.com