List:       kernelnewbies
Subject:    Re: ISA-PnP
From:       Guennadi Liakhovetski <gl () dsa-ac ! de>
Date:       2003-01-28 8:42:47

> > I have an ISA NE2000-clone, marked E-LAN-2000. It works fine, but it takes
> > IRQ-3!:-( There are no jumpers on the board, so, I presumed, it should
> > (might...) be PnP... Enabling PnP in the kernel produces "No PnP cards
> > found" - and no /proc/isapnp file is created (is this the expected
> > behaviour?) Running pnpdump (with eth0 down and ne.o and 8390.o removed)
> > HALTS the machine COMPLETELY on trying 0x313 (NIC's io=0x300)... Anybody
> > knows where the problem might be? Is it not a PnP card at all with all
> > resources hard-wired on the board? And should the machine halt anyway?
>
> I know that is a stupid question but i want to ask it. Did you enable
> PNP option on BIOS firstly?

Hm, I would say, it's not a stupid - it's an interesting question:-) The
system in question is a Compaq XL-5133 (if I remember correctly), which
has no BIOS configuration utility in the normal sense:-) Well, it has one,
but to run it you have to boot from 4 diskets, and, as far as I remember,
there's no PnP in this utility. Which, I thought - was good, since then
the BIOS can't mangle the PnP-config, or is this wrong?

Guennadi
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.
DSA Daten- und Systemtechnik GmbH
Pascalstr. 28