List:       kernel-janitors
Subject:    [patch*, rfc] remove 321 unneeded #includes of sched.h
From:       Tim Schmielau <tim () physik3 ! uni-rostock ! de>
Date:       2002-07-27 14:36:59

The first of these patch removes 321 occurences of
'#include <linux/sched.h>', where none of the definitions is actually
referenced. In some cases #includes of files previously pulled in by
sched.h are reintroduced to satisfy indirect dependencies.

The second patch fixes indirect dependencies, where header files need
to include other headers which used to get pulled in through other
files' excessive sched.h usage but aren't anymore.

The third patch breaks out task_struct from sched.h to a separate file and
thus fixes the common case of 'current->foo' usage without declaration.

While this is hard to tell with 2.5.29, compilation doesn't seem to
be broken more than without them, with the only exception of ACPI
probably not building.

My confidence in the patch is steadily increasing. The is the first
version where (at least for my configuration) _all_ build problems
where located by my scripts prior to actual compilation.

This leaves the open question of how to proceed with this patch.
Though highly welcome, last week's post to lkml didn't receive any
response.

Tim

Patches can be obtained here: (only pointers due to excessive size)
 http://www.physik3.uni-rostock.de/tim/kernel/2.5/sched.h-12a.patch.gz
 http://www.physik3.uni-rostock.de/tim/kernel/2.5/sched.h-12b.patch.gz
 http://www.physik3.uni-rostock.de/tim/kernel/2.5/sched.h-12c.patch.gz