List:       kernel-janitors
Subject:    Re: Status of TODO list
From:       Eric Bresie <ebresie () usa ! net>
Date:       2002-07-18 23:17:33

Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:

>Em Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 03:53:50PM -0500, Eric Bresie escreveu:
>
>>Well...it could be a little much, but it does provide a lot of tracability
>>for the purpose of fixing things that the "janitors" need to fix.  Keeping it
>>simple the way it is now is good I agree, but the larger and larger the
>>kernel gets (as is being found with the whole version control issues), the
>>easier it is for things to be overlook and slip through the cracks.
>>
>The thing is a bug tracking system was used in the past, jitterbug and it didn't
>worked, so we could try something different this time, like moin moin, as the
>VM people use at http://linux-mm.org/wiki/moin.cgi

That looks like a good alternative.

I guess the only other reason I would lean towards the bugzilla stuff is
the querying, tracking, and
categorization of everything...but then again...I've heard that many of
the linux distributions
have their own bugtracking systems in place...now if only there was some
synchronization
between the systems (if redhat fixed the bug and suse doesn't...seems
like there could be
some extra work done by suse that wasn't necessary)

>>The drawback to that can be that unless someone routinely monitors things,
>>there will be more bugs and request than anyone will know what to do with.
>>
>yes
>

>>Well...I think the problem (no disrespect to any of the maintainers of the
>>TODO list) is that this list is somewhat inconsistant (different entries
>>provide different bits of information - some provide who submitted the
>>bug/request others don't, some include a date [which is good for finding out
>>how current this bug/request might be] some don't).
>>

>This was just my private TODO list, so I kept it very terse and only as a
>starting point for google searches for relevant discussion on mailing lists,
>so yes, it was not initially supposed to be something for wide consuption,
>with more volunteers and a wiki system like the one mentioned above we can
>surely improve it.

And it is a good place to work from.  I guess as was expressed while I
was on the irc
channel, that getting people onboard (to doing kernel-janitoring) is the
hard part :-)