List:       keepalived-devel
Subject:    [Keepalived-devel] 1.1.16 SIOCGMIIREG failed
From:       Hans Kristian Rosbach <hk () isphuset ! no>
Date:       2009-02-24 9:32:36

Running Fedora 10 x86_64 quad-core + 4GB ram
w/4x intel pci-x nics + 2x intel pcie nics

While setting up 1.1.15 and having the following problem
"Keepalived_vrrp: Netlink: error: Cannot assign requested address,
type=(21), seq=1235464558, pid=0" (suggestions welcomed), I figured
I might as well try to recompile the rpm with 1.1.16 since the
changelog seems to suggest it has fixed a problem with bond devices.

The compile ran without errors and the rpm installed nicely.

But after starting up keepalived 1.1.16 I get a new kind of
errors:
Feb 24 10:10:58 firewall2a Keepalived_healthcheckers: SIOCGMIIREG on
eth4 failed: Input/output error
Feb 24 10:10:58 firewall2a Keepalived_healthcheckers: SIOCGMIIREG on
eth4 failed: Input/output error
Feb 24 10:10:58 firewall2a Keepalived_healthcheckers: SIOCGMIIREG on
eth4 failed: Input/output error
Feb 24 10:10:58 firewall2a Keepalived_healthcheckers: SIOCGMIIREG on
eth5 failed: Input/output error
Feb 24 10:10:58 firewall2a Keepalived_healthcheckers: SIOCGMIIREG on
eth5 failed: Input/output error
Feb 24 10:10:58 firewall2a Keepalived_healthcheckers: SIOCGMIIREG on
eth5 failed: Input/output error

These are literally spammed to the logfile.

Now, these error messages are the same ones I get when running mii-tool:
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD flow-control, link ok
eth1: negotiated 100baseTx-FD flow-control, link ok
eth2: negotiated 100baseTx-FD flow-control, link ok
eth3: negotiated 100baseTx-FD flow-control, link ok
SIOCGMIIREG on eth4 failed: Input/output error
eth4: negotiated 100baseTx-FD flow-control, link ok
SIOCGMIIREG on eth5 failed: Input/output error
eth5: negotiated 100baseTx-FD flow-control, link ok

As you can see, the driver for the two pcie cards dont support this.
While I found no definitive info while googling this, this post
does point to the fact that these drivers will likely never support
this outdated feature:
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1235467720454+28353475&threadId=1278095

So while I see this is a nice new feature, could you please update it
to use the new api like ethtool does? And is it possible to disable this
feature so that it behaves like 1.1.15?

Sincerly
    Hans K. Rosbach
    ISPHuset Nordic AS